Q: Does it REALLY matter whether I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night?
A: The answer is…. YES!
We’ve all heard the popular hustle-and-grind saying: “I’ll sleep when I’m dead.”
But you’ll actually get MORE done – and do it better! – if you get enough sleep. PLUS, you’ll feel better doing it.
Here’s a quick rundown of WHY sleep is important:
- Your brain forms new pathways to help your memory while you sleep.
- Being rested helps you control your emotions and behaviour.
- It improves your recovery from workouts.
- It keeps your hormones balanced (including those that control stress, blood sugar control, and food cravings).
- Plus, it triggers the release of growth hormone, which helps your body build muscle and repair cells.
- Getting too little sleep (in the long term) is linked with a higher risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and kidney disease.
- Getting too little sleep increases the risk of obesity.
- Your immune system performs better when you are rested.
- Getting enough quality sleep helps you be more productive and efficient during the day.
As you can see, your body isn’t asleep on the job when you’re sleeping – it’s actually working hard to keep you healthy, strong, and productive!